Sunday 28 January 2018

Viaduct Fishery Open (Cary Lake).

Well yesterday I thought things couldn't get any worse but how wrong I was! The wife went to the bank to get some money to pay for my recent purchase but when returning with the cash on the bus somehow lost the envelope with it in & didn't realise until afterwards, We made frantic calls to the bus company & a couple of drivers we know but to no avail' That would be the last we saw of that then! She was beside herself with guilt but assured her it wasn't the end of the world & somehow we'll get it back soon enough. Back to today even though I wasn't really in the mood to go fishing I was booked in to Viaduct so with the forecast quite good made my way their.

Fourteen of us booked in today as their were other things on in the area & we were all hoping to draw the recent noted pegs, I let a few go before me before taking my turn, Ending up on peg 99 above the tree, I felt I had the chance of a few carp but didn't really think I would compete with the pegs nearer the aerator which had been producing of late or the pegs in the top corner where a few fish had been caught lately so even though I would have a look for carp I based my main day around silvers, I set up a 4x12 wire wonder on 0.13-0.10 & an 18 PR412 Hook, & a heavier 4x14 rig to fish with a double bulk, Both rigs to fish a couple of lines at 14mts, Apart from this all I set up was a bomb rod, I was going to get the waggler out but the wind wasn't in are favour so didn't want to complicate things. For company I had Mark Poppleton above me on peg 97 & Dave White on peg 96, & next to me Silvers Lover Stu White on peg 100 who would target then from the off.

I began the day feeding four balls & a cup of loose G/Bait containing a few casters & dead reds at 14mts & one ball off to my right at the same distance & started the day in the open water on the bomb & meat, In the first 30mins I had a couple of liners, Dave was first to catch a carp on are bank closely followed by Nick Chedzoy on fancied peg 102, Interestingly Stu had started his day short for silvers & was surprisingly catching well" Usually you get a few early fish then it dies but after 45mins I estimated he had around 4lb in the net so would be playing catch up with him now on the silvers but I hadn't fed a short line" I gave it nearly an hour on the bomb before praying my silvers lines were solid with big skimmers". I started on the one ball line & had a 6oz skimmer after waiting ages for a bite so onto the positive line with double caster on the hook, again I had to wait for a bite but this time I hooked a better fish but it came straight off! I had another go but no more signs, Stu was still adding small fish to his net but I was going nowhere'.

Back on the bomb with various baits but no signs of fish, Dave had taken two more carp in the first hour & Mark had now landed one but I couldn't get so much as a liner, After another 45mins of trying different areas I was back on the pole lines, I had a 1lb plus skimmer straight off the bumped another decent fish soon after, I seem to get this problem a lot on here for some reason with the better size fish? this killed it again as no more bites.

By now basically I had come to the conclusion trying to catch Stu up on the long pole didn't seem likely to happen, After Dave's Early fish he hadn't added to them & nor had Mark, Nick had netted a few more but the guy on peg 77 seemed to be doing best, I'm on here next week for the next round of the winter league so decided to spend the rest of the day in search of fish with the bomb. Eventually I did start to get the odd pull round with a couple of hours to go but they turned out to be bream over 2lb along with a tench over a 1lb' With an hour to go Mark decided to call it a day, I had managed to pack most of my kit away whilst watching a pretty motionless tip, I had a funny feeling going into the last 30mins I was going to catch a carp & with 25mins to go I did! a decent fish around 10lb but a few more required with minutes remaining" it wasn't to be as I didn't have another before the all-out although I left it out whilst trying to recover my catty I had dropped in earlier & caught another a few minutes after the whistle' I put it back in along with the one I had but decided to weigh my few silvers for the sake of it, When the scales arrived top weigh was John Gray from peg 77 being 130lb odd catching on the bomb & waggler with meat & top silvers was Nigel Easton from peg 90 with 21lb of bomb & corn caught skimmers, Dave's three fish went 19lb odd before my few fish went 10lb 12oz & Stu finished the day with 17lb of silvers most of which came to his short line, Nick was last to weigh & finished with 58lb for second on the day so hoping to be on this or the peg opposite next week then'.

 Not totally in gear today after losing the cash & having it go round in my head every two minutes but don't think much would of been different result wise, Look forward to next Sundays league & hoping trig keeps his hand going'

Full Results -

1st John Gray (Plymouth) peg 77, 130lb 4oz.

2nd Nick Chedzoy (P.I.Thatchers) peg 102, 58lb 5oz.

3rd Nigel Easton (Bait tech Viaduct) peg 90, 37lb 12oz.

Silvers -

1st Nigel Easton,  peg 90 , 21lb 4oz.                

No comments:

Post a Comment